Tuesday, November 3, 2015

On Networking

Networking is hard. But wait, there is more!

...

It's really hard. I've spent most of my free time in Baltimore talking to graduate schools from around the country inquiring about Ph.D. programs. However, since I live that #introvertlyfe, I watch others before I do/think/say anything. Usually N = 5 is enough data for me to jump into the conversation and get my feet wet. 

Here are things that I've noticed don't work. 

1) Talking about how great one's school/advisor/research is. Everyone here does great stuff; it's hard to be special. Besides, isn't the point of this whole experience to learn about other schools? That requires LISTENING. Most of these booths are run by graduate students; even if one managed to impress the booth attendants, it likely wouldn't matter. 

2) Asking about GRE guidelines, and then ranting about how useless standardized tests are for measuring intelligence. Just gotta play the game, guys.

3) Overstaying one's welcome at a booth. Awkotaco. 

Some things that have seemed to work for me:

1) Asking about advisors. I've gotten great information about future advisors  overlords. One question that seems to elicit an outpouring of unsolicited information is, "Is Prof X more of a hands-on or hands-off advisor?". Opens the tap every time, all the time.

2) Funding. Funding. Funding. If it's good, it's obvious. Just ask.

Guaranteed $24,000 nine month stipend in a moderate cost of living area with summer options? Okay.

Dependent upon grant availability? Eh. 

3) However, the grand winning strategy has absolutely been my Halloween costume. I'm still Edward to these people. I'm okay with that.




Time to go listen to smart people talk about fracking.

     -Brendon 

No comments:

Post a Comment