Monday, November 2, 2015

Karst, Anthrax, and Kidney Stones

Hey everyone, this is Matt Carey.

I started the day off with a technical session on karst formations.  My favorite talk, of the 4 I sat through, was about vertical cave formations in micrite rock outside of the village Tahsis in British Columbia.  This was the first cave I have heard of being formed in micrite.  After that, I met up with Ashley Horton and walked over to the Geology and Health technical session.  I sat through 3 talks here.  One of which, was on a man's research of anthrax field contaminations in Michigan.  I was a little shocked to see field photos of him collecting contaminated sediments in shorts and a tee shirt.  I asked about this after his discussion and he informed me that he was safe handling the samples as long as he didn't ingest, or inhale the anthrax.  After this Ashley gave a stellar presentation on kidney stone synthesis.  The audience cringed together at the mention of staghorn growth features on some of the samples.  Later in the day, I had the opportunity to show my poster and talk about research I have been doing with Dr. Ruhl.  Had lots of good talks with passersby and received some solid feedback.  Tomorrow I am planning on getting out in the city a little and seeing the house Edgar Allen Poe wrote The Raven.  I'll keep y'all posted on the goings on tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment