Saturday, March 24, 2018

Dunes, Sea Caves, and Altar Cave

Of all of the wonderful experiences I had while in San Salvador, the hike to North Point was perhaps the most enjoyable.  The North Point hike showed fascinating coastal geomorphology, with sea caves slowly forming.  I had never had the experience of applying theoretical concepts learned in geomorphology to the field, and this experience was a perfect culmination of my learning.  While my passion lies in oceanography, the forming sea caves indicate the wonder and power of the ocean. Additionally, the dunes gave me an opportunity to apply knowledge from sedimentology and stratigraphy and were truly awe-inspiring. 

While the dunes and sea caves lie in my comfort zone, I decided that this trip would also serve as an ideal opportunity to go beyond my limits.  I have never been a fan of caves-- for me, darkness, heights, and uncertainty are three variables for disaster.  Although I did not climb into Owl's Hole Cave or Lighthouse Cave, I took the final opportunity to climb into Altar Cave.  Despite immediately regretting it because of the irritating sand and bat guano mixture, the being able to see and identify bats up close was an exhilarating experience that I had yet to experience.  

I am greatly indebted to my professors and classmates for their camaraderie and brilliance as we traversed San Salvador.  Above all, my experiences in San Salvador further demonstrated to me my passion for the ocean and geology.  A truly unforgettable experience, San Salvador (and Goombay Punch) has a special place in my heart.

Photo of the dunes.  Credit to Olivia Pate.

Tyler Kee

No comments:

Post a Comment